Starting september 2016, I am presently Full Professor of Fluids Dynamics & Applied Mathematics at the Laboratoire de Mathématiques & Interactions J.A. Dieudonné at the University of Nice Sophia Antipolis (UMR 7351) in Nice, France.
From 2005 to 2016, I was Full Professor in the Energy & Propulsion Department, at the French Institute for Applied Sciences (INSA) in Rouen, France, and Researcher at the CORIA Lab, where I used to lead a small team of PhDs, Post-docs and Master trainees (constantly 3 to 7 people).
My main research interests deal with asymptotic modeling, numerical modeling & analysis and scientific computing.
, present or recent applications and ongoing project deal with
- turbulent combustion modeling, flame/wall interaction, stratified combustion modeling in engines
- expanding wrinkled flames, flame-balls & ignition kernels analysis, flame/acoustics interaction, percolation modeling for front propagation;
- coupled dynamics of energy & mass transfer, turbulent heat & mass transfer in metal foams (also at LIED/DYCO);
- reactive flow and thermoelectric conversion at the small scale ;
- buoyant destabilization in wet granular media and non-Newtonian flows (also at LIED/DYCO);.
Politecnico Milano, Italy; CUED Cambridge University Engineering Department, UK ; Chair of Fluid Mechanics, TU Berlin, Germany; LTH, Lund University of Technology, Sweden: Dept. of Aircraft Technology, Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Greece; BioPolis & University of Valencia, Spain; Queensland University of Technology, Australia.
Renault, IFPEN, ONERA, HBOB Grenoble, ST MicroELectronics, BioPolis Valencia.
Tel: +33 (0)2 32 95 36 90
Avenue de l'Université - BP 12
76801 Saint Etienne du Rouvray , ROUEN, FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)2 32 95 36 00
Fax: +33 (0)2 32 91 04 85
- Post-doctoral research associate, Yale Center for Combustion Studies, Yale University, New Haven, 1994/95 (with M.D. Smooke & A. Gomez). Spray Evaporation Modelling.
- Research Engineer, Fluid Mechanics, Heat & Mass transfer, Combustion, Advanced numerical methods, French Aerospace Industry: Matra BAe, Aerospatiale/EADS, Dassault Aviation; 1990/94 & 1995/97.
- Assistant Professor, French Institute for Agronomy (AgroParisTech), Paris, Non Newtonian Fluids Modelling and Simulation 1997/99
- Associate Professor, National School of Mechanics and Aeronautics (ENSMA-ISAE), Poitiers, France, 1999/2005 (with G. Joulin).
Roles & Responsibilites
- PhD Advisor for 10 students (since 2000 : G. Boury, R. Rego, O. Esnault, J. Savre, E. Albin, M. Sjostrand, S. Liu, B. Leveugle, C. Gruselle, P. Bénard) and member of 24 PhD Defence Juries (since 2003)
- Deputy Director of the Research and Development Department at INSA Rouen (administrative management), 2007/09
- Responsible for the Master 2, INSA (around 10 students per year)
- Member of the French Agrégation Externe de Mathématiques jury (oral examiner), since 2006.
- SMAI & SIAM (Society For Industrial & Applied Mathematics) Member.
- Turbulence: concepts & numerical modelling
- Mathematics & Mathematical Modelling for Engineers
- Numerical Methods & Scientific Computing
- Introduction to Hydrodynamic Instabilities
- Theoretical combustion, flame structure, complex chemistry and transport
- Fluid Dynamics
- Mesoscale Combustion & Thermoelectric conversion
Eric Herbert, Cyprien Morize, Aurélie Louis–Napoléon, Christophe Goupil, Pierre Jop and Yves D'Angelo, Buoyancy-driven destabilization of an immersed granular bed, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, volume 843, pages 778-809, 2018.
E. Thiébaut, C. Goupil, F. Pesty, Y. D’Angelo, G. Guégan & P. Lecoeur, Maximization of the Thermoelectric Cooling of a Graded Peltier Device by Analytical Heat-Equation Resolution, Physical Review Applied, 8, 064003, December 2017 
E Albin, R Knikker, S Xin, C O Paschereit & Y D’Angelo, Computational assessment of curvatures and principal directions of implicit surfaces from 3D scalar data, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Mathematical Methods for Curves and Surfaces, Revised selected papers, Springer, 2017, 
C. Goupil, H. Ouerdane, E. Herbert, and Y. D'Angelo Thermodynamics of metabolic energy conversion, Posted on ArXiv (2017) 
P. Bénard, V. Moureau, G. Lartigue, Y. D'Angelo Large-Eddy Simulation of a hydrogen enriched methane/air meso-scale combustor International Journal of Hydrogen Energy Volume 42, Issue 4, 26 January 2017, Pages 2397-2410 
C. Goupil, H. Ouerdane, E. Herbert, G. Benenti, Y. D’Angelo and Ph. Lecoeur; Closed loop approach to thermodynamics, Phys. Rev. E 94, 032136 – Published 29 September 2016. 
P. Bénard, G. Balarac, V. Moureau, C. Dobrzynski, G. Lartigue, Y. D'Angelo, Mesh adaptation for large-eddy simulations in complex geometries, Int. Journal Numerical Methods in Fluids, 2015 
M. Sjostrand-Cuif & Y. D’Angelo, DNS Analysis of a cubic meso-scale combustion chamber : I. Cold flow topology & dynamics, European Journal of Mechanics - B/Fluids, Volume 52, July–August 2015, Pages 55–67, 
M. Sjostrand-Cuif, Y. D'Angelo & E. Albin, No-slip Wall Acoustic Boundary Condition treatment in the Incompressible Limit, Computers and Fluids,Volume 86, Pages 92–102, November 2013. 
R.A. Rego, Y. D’Angelo & G. Joulin, On nonlinear model equations for the response of premixed flames to acoustic like accelerations, Combustion Theory & Modelling, 2013 
E. Albin, H. Nawroth, S. Göke, Y. D’Angelo, C.O Paschereit, Experimental investigation of burning velocities of ultra-wet methane-air-steam mixtures, March 2013 ,
E. Albin & Y. D’Angelo, Assessment of the Evolution Equation Modelling approach for three-dimensional expanding wrinkled premixed flames, Combustion & Flame, May 2012, 
J. Dombard, B. Leveugle, L. Selle, J. Réveillon, T. Poinsot & Y. D'Angelo, Modeling heat transfer in diluted two-phase flows using the Mesoscopic Eulerian Formalism, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, February 2012, 
E. Albin, Y. D'Angelo & L. Vervisch, Using staggered grids with acoustic boundary conditions when solving compressible reactive Navier-Stokes equations, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, February 2012, 
E. Albin, Y. D'Angelo & L. Vervisch, Flow streamline based Navier-Stokes Characteristic Boundary Conditions: modeling for transverse and corner outflows, Computers and Fluids, 51, 1, pp. 115-126, December 2011 
G. Boury & Y. D’Angelo, On third order density contrast expansion of the evolution equation for wrinkled unsteady premixed flames, International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 46, 9, pp. 1213-1222, November 2011 
O. Esnault, G. Joulin & Y. D'Angelo, Combustion fronts in nondiffusing disordered premixtures. I: Single-channel curved flames, Combustion Theory and Modelling, 12, 4, 739-768, 2008. 
J. Savre, N. Bertier, Y. D'Angelo & D. Gaffié, A chemical time scale approach for FPI modeling, Comptes-Rendus Mécanique, 336, 11-12, pp 807-812, 2008. 
E. Albin & Y. D'Angelo, A simple strategy for the analysis of the cycle-to-cycle variation of premixed combustion process in ICEs, SAE Paper 2007-24-0039. 
M. Boutat, Y. D'Angelo, S. Hilout & V. Lods, An interface evolution problem in the axisymmetric case, Comptes-Rendus Mathématiques, 341, pp. 195-200 (2005) 
M. Boutat, Y. D’Angelo, S. Hilout & V. Lods, An interface evolution problem for axisymmetric stressed pore channels, Asymptotic Analysis, 34, pp. 131-150, 2005. 
M. Boutat, Y. D'Angelo, S. Hilout & V. Lods, Existence and finite-time blow-up for the solution to a thin-film surface evolution problem, Asymptotic Analysis, 38, pp. 93-128, 2004. 
Y. D'Angelo & G. Joulin, Lifetimes of Flame Balls dragged by model turbulent flows : role of velocity gradient fluctuations, Physical Review E, 69, 036304, 1-15, 2004. 
G. Joulin & Y. D’Angelo, News from the Flame Ball front, in Simplicity, Rigor and Relevance in Fluid Mechanics, F.J. Higuera, J. Jiménez and J.M. Vega (Eds.), CIMNE, Barcelona, pp. 17–46, 2004. http://www.cimne.com/tiendacimne/ver_libro.asp?id_prod=1110
M. Boutat, Y. D'Angelo, S. Hilout & V. Lods, Finite-time blow-up for a thin-film surface evolution problem, Comptes-Rendus Mathématiques, 337/8, pp. 549-552 (2003). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.crma.2003.09.005
Y. D'Angelo & G. Joulin, Collective Effects and Dynamics of Non-Adiabatic Flame-Balls, Combustion Theory and Modelling, 5, pp. 1-20, 2001. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1088/1364-7830/5/1/301
G. Joulin, G. Boury, P. Cambray, Y. D'Angelo & K. Joulain, Nonlinear Dynamics of Wrinkled Premixed Flames and Related Statistical Problems, Coherent Structures in Complex Systems, Lecture Notes in Physics, Springer, pp. 127-158, 2001. http://www.springerlink.com/content/wl00085j118x/
Y. D'Angelo, G. Joulin & G. Boury, On Model Evolution Equations for the Whole Surface of 3D Expanding Wrinkled Premixed Flames, Combustion Theory and Modelling, 4, pp. 317-338 2000 (Best CTM Publication of the Year). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1088/1364-7830/4/3/305
Y. D'Angelo, Computation of the Flow Structure of an Hydrogen/Air Mixture Downstream of a Steady System of Shock Waves, Aerospace Science and Technology, 5, pp. 309-327, 1997. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1270-9638(97)90053-5
L.P. Gao, Y. D'Angelo, I. Silverman, A. Gomez & M.D. Smooke, Quantitative comparison of detailed numerical computations and experiments in counterflow spray diffusion flames, Proceedings of The Combustion Institute, 26:1739-46, 1996. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0082-0784(96)80399-7
Y. D'Angelo & B. Larrouturou, Comparison and analysis of some numerical schemes for stiff complex chemistry problems, Mathematical Modelling & Numerical Analysis, 29, 3, pp. 259-301, 1995. URL: http://www.numdam.org/item?id=M2AN_1995__29_3_259_0